In 1986, the USA carried out a centennial restoration of the Statue of Liberty whose skin is constructed from the soft metal copper. After much testing, it was found that the only safe and effective way to remove a century’s worth of corrosion, coal tar deposits and paint from this famous monument was to employ soda blasting. During the subsequent decades, industry has come to recognise the versatility of this technique.
APT soda blasting services are available to clean a corner of a workshop up to a whole factory, both inside and out. Our company uses the latest methods and equipment operated by fully trained personnel. Here are some examples of where soda blasting is the best cleaning process:
- exterior concrete cleaning – removes greasy residue, rust stains, paint splashes, graffiti without abrading the concrete surface
- exterior render cleaning – removes alagal staining, graffiti and other contaminants without compromising the integrity of the render
- cladding cleaning – improves the exterior appearance of your building and increases the life of the cladding
- cleaning and restoration of masonry
- warehouse/workshop/factory floor cleaning – non-solvent degreasing of flooring to ensure safety of staff. Safe to use on all floor coatings
- Component degreasing and cleaning – solvent-free preparation of surfaces to the highest standards
- plant and equipment cleaning – soda blasting can be safely used on food production lines and in food preparation areas as well as degreasing production line and other machinery
- rust removal – removes surface staining and rust from iron and steel
- graffiti removal – thorough and solvent-free removal of all types of paint used to create graffiti
- industrial paint stripping – prepare plant and machinery for repainting
- storage tank and tank area cleaning – removal of chemical and oil spills from tank bodies, pipework, walls and floors
- brick, stone and other masonry cleaning – stain removal and paint removal to improve the appearance of your premises
- efflorescence removal
- fire and flood damage restoration – blasting soda neutralises the smells
- to renovate commercial painted metals – restore jaded paintwork on plant, machinery or components
The list is by no means exhaustive so if you have an industrial coating removal, debris stripping or degreasing task, soda blasting could be the best solution.
Conventional blasting methods rely on brute force which is indiscriminate and can take with it part of the substrate as well as the soiling or coating to be removed. It is the velocity and the mass of the particles of the medium that count. This necessitates high pressures which can damage delicate surfaces and warp thin panels.
Soda blasting still requires the crystals to be travelling at high velocity, however, they shatter on impact. This releases the extra energy required to disrupt the bonding of the soiling to the substrate. The quantity of energy released is insufficient to damage delicate surfaces like old brickwork, glass and rubber for example and since the blasting pressure is low, there is less chance of warping thin metal sheets for example pressed steel car body panels.
Contact APT now on 0800 0723 773 for a no-obligation chat about your industrial cleaning needs and to arrange your FREE, no-obligation UK site visit. When you use APT as your industrial cleaning contractor, you don’t even need to worry about H&S issues as we take care of it.
The blast medium is sodium bicarbonate which is non-toxic, non-flammable, non-hazardous, water soluble and environmentally friendly.
It’s softness guarantees that delicate surfaces will not be harmed during the blasting process, unlike with traditional blast media. It has a hardness of 2.5 on Moh’s scale which means that it is too soft to scratch glass, etch metal, and damage rubber or plastics. You benefit from saved costs as you don’t need to protect or remove components from machinery or from areas adjacent to the cleaning.
At pH 8.5, it is classed as a weak alkali which means that it deals easily with hydrocarbon deposits such as oils and greases. You benefit from saved money and time as cleaned surfaces are then ready for re-coating with no further operations required.
In addition, sodium bicarbonate passivates steel from rusting – freshly cleaned steel surfaces will therefore remain untarnished and ready for re-coating. Compare that with traditional cleaning methods in which steel surfaces begin to rust soon after cleaning is completed.
APT is the leader amongst industrial cleaning companies. Contact us now on 0800 0723 773 for a no-obligation chat and to find out how to obtain the best industrial cleaning services in the UK. For your ultimate peace of mind, we carry out a full risk assessment and organise all of the necessary H&S requirements, ensuring the safety of your staff, visitors and the general public.