The client was coming to the end of a commercial property lease agreement on the warehousing distribution unit which was part of the port of jersey estates department. During the tenancy the client had installed secured safety fencing to secure the yard space. Over the last ten years the weather and high cross winds had caused damage to the wall causing major cracking to the granite stone wall.
The security fence was set along the wall at a high level, a busy trucking yard to one side and the main passenger terminal walkway to the other. The fence needed to be removed to remove the risk to passengers and yard workers whilst carrying out new long term repairs and reinstatement of the security fencing to the yard.
APT provided the following options for completing the dilapidation for the client Condor Ferries:-
1. Secure the area to protect public and yard workers
2. Use soda blasting method to clean granite stone and masonry of the heritage stone wall to allow detailed inspection of the cracks and appropriate colour match for the stone repair and restoration works. Also remove and treat algae.
3. Provide several options to reinstate a fence to satisfy the port of jersey harbors authority, the jersey heritage and conservation works authority and the local authority to meet current planning criteria.
4. Carry out stone repairs to the granite wall using specialist fixings to secure the damaged stone pieces together with up to date modern techniques in stone masonry repairs to match existing clean stone surfaces.
5. Provide engineering specification drawings to offer alternative methods of re-construction to reinstate the existing security fencing (strict planning and heritage restoration conditions) whilst removing any short and long term safety issues for the public and yard workers.
6. To dig out warehousing yard and install specialist designed and position independent steel stanchions into the ground within the yard area at the back of the wall (avoiding all the ground water drainage, high powered cabling and other services) place sets of railings to rehang the existing security fencing panels “off wall” at the same position to meet the planning authorities strict conditions and remove any future safety risk.
To use of scaffolding, cutting and grinding, steel erection – install specialist manufactured steel work to enable safe installation of fence, specialist granite repair works. JCB, cranes and other heavy plant and equipment.
The client condor ferries met with the entire commercial lease dilapidation schedule whilst conforming to the strict criteria and conditions set out by the heritage works department and port of Jersey Estates.
I cannot thank APT and the whole team for what turned out to be an outstanding job. There were a lot of difficult obstacles to overcome and Andrew was an expert at finding solutions. APT took complete control, they managed and executed the job diligently, and at the same time provided cost effective solutions to bring the project in under budget
Graham Belgum – Operations Manager